Monday, September 3, 2007

We made it to Addis!

Well, we left ATL at 10 a.m. yesterday morning, or actually two days ago, and have made to Addis Ababa. We had SIX, yes SIX, bags maxed out at the 50 pound limit. The good news for me is that four of them are filled with humanitarian aid and clothes for the children at the orphanages as well as food items for some of the agency people who are from Texas who are craving Mexican food. Yep, we brought a gallon of salsa, flour tortillas and refried beans, taco seasoning as well as a large bag of chips which we carried on the plane as part of our precious cargo along with a couple of back packs. So, since we had an 8 hour layover in D.C and were changing airlines, we were not sure how it would all work out with getting the luggage onto Ethiopian Airlines. But, Delta was wonderful and took our luggage in ATL and checked it all the way through to Addis!


This allowed us to have more time with our friends, Matt and Jocelyn, in D.C. who just adopted a beautiful little girl named Katie Zara. Obviously, pictures are better than words, so here are a few of Kazie!








We had a great time visiting with Matt and Jocelyn and ate Thai food for our last meal in the States. After hangin' out and watching GA Tech beat Notre Dame, we were off to the airport.




Our flight was uneventful, just as we had prayed and we landed in Rome only about 30 minutes late. Unfortunately, we were only supposed to be re-fueling in Rome but had some other issues that kept us on the ground for nearly 3 hours sitting on the tarmac in the plane. After changing crews we were off to Addis where we landed about 3 hours late - nearly 11 p.m. local time. While on the plane, we had our picture taken with the pilot.



When we landed in Addis, it took a while, but our luggage finally showed up. We were very thankful, since neither of us had brought a change of clothes in our carry-ons.



When we arrived at the hotel, around 12:30 a.m. local time, I actually set up the computer to try to post a blog, but I fell asleep at the desk! We decided it would be best to just crash for the night and unpack and do everything in the morning.


We are getting ready to leave to meet Ryan and Abby and Belay, who are all in-country representatives for our adoption agency - Gladney Adotpion Services. We will eat lunch and then go to visit the two orphanages where Meti stayed earlier this year. We will get to meet the directors as well.


Isabella and Talia - we miss you soooooo much. Lots of love from Daddy and Mommy.






















5 comments:

Jonni Kennedy said...

Mommy and Daddy - I love you and miss you and I want you to come back soon. It's one day til Tali's gotcha day and we're going to celebrate. I love you mommy and daddy forever. I'm going to love you forever and that I am going to be there when you come home. I'm going to pray for you every day. and we are going to love you even when you come back. Good bye because I just love you. Love Isabella

From Talia - doo doo doo {she's singing a song}. Today I'm going to pick up my new ballarina outfit. I want to be a flying ballerina when I grow up. I love you mommy and dada. I made a dinasour. I love you um um um I think we're going to library today. I had a double thumbs up day yesterday....um um um I love you and pray everyday with nonni for you and my new baby sister. Bye Bye

Jonni Kennedy said...

Gk & LK, thanks so much for taking the time to allow us to follow along on your journey to pick up my niece. The girls and I look at the site everyday. They were so excited to see their names in the blog. They miss you two very much. They are excited for your return and X off everyday on their calendar then count the days until the 15th. My heart, love and prayers are with you every moment. Your two daughters are doing great. They are so joyful and have slept a ton....me too. Love your guts. xo jon

Unknown said...

Sweet Greg and Leigh, we think of you so very often on this most exciting and fruitful adventure! Tom and I send love and hugs to you both. Our prayers are filled with joy and praises to our Father who gives us such precious gifts. May your coming days be filled with joy. Hugs to Meti and kisses too. Isabella and Tali, nanni and gaffer send you lots of hugs, can you catch them???????????? bye

Jocelyn Zarr '86 said...

I was thrilled to see your post today!!! I feel as though i have been checking every hour on the hour!!! OH! Horrendous sitting on the tarmac in Italy like that! I really felt for you both. I think i might have broken out the Chips! LOL we were very embarrassed to see us on YOUR blog! We loved having you if only for a few hours! Thinking of your every step of the way! Love jocelyn and Zara!

Caroline said...

Merry Christmas, Leigh! Mary received your Chrismas card and John Austin found your blog. Congratulations on the addition of the newest member of your family! We admire the courage it takes to travel "far and wide" to bring home such a precious child.

Call us if you are ever in Oxford.

Fondly,

Caroline and Tommy Rosser